The Perils and Blessings of Being a Not so modern Wife, Mother, and Woman in Modern Times.

Followers

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Taking a tour of the "Houskeeper's Helper". Part One.

This was one of my favorite finds. I am an old book junky. I don't much care what shape they're in, just as long as they're old and I can afford them. This one I found at a great antique shop about a two hour drive from our house. It was a steel at $3.00, in my opinion. My husband and I plan on going back there again within the next few weeks, once my back is better (I threw it out this past week) and I'm all mended. 

And without further delay,  I would like to introduce you to the: Housekeeper's Helper, written by George A. Peltz in 1892. 





























A little bit of a history lesson within the first pages of the book.



Ancient Roman utensils. 

And if anyone is up for making Cabinet Pudding, here's the recipe.






Modern Facilities for Cooking... 

I love these drawings.






Just in case you need to know how much coal you'll need to cook that something special for your family and guests.






Wow, this is one busy oven.
Can you imagine cleaning it?



And, of course, you must have a hot water spout at the ready at all times.
Nifty faucet, isn't it?






Now this is starting to look familiar. 
Some things never change, or change very little.






There is actually a warning in the book on the hazards of can openers. I can see why. Look at that thing.



Did you all catch the cherry pitter? Isn't that something?






The cabinet on the right side of the above page is called The Double-Door Empress.
Can you guess what it is without reading the text?



And no home would be complete without their own Ice-Cream Freezer.
I know I'd love one. I have been really hankering for some lavender-thyme vanilla ice cream.

I hope you enjoyed your stroll through installment one of the tour through The Housekeeper's Helper. Please visit me again in a day or two when I have up the second installment.


Happy Birthday, Dad. We miss you.
Blessings in the here after.

2 comments:

  1. I love old books too, especially homemaking ones. What a great find!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - I found you on the Garden Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete