The Perils and Blessings of Being a Not so modern Wife, Mother, and Woman in Modern Times.

Followers

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Video Games and the Modern Family: Part 1

These are modern times. Modern times and modern technology. And one of the "marvels" of modern technology is the video game. Now, I'm sure most of us can remember when video games were in their infancy. They were very basic and crude, had lots of annoying sounds (and that has changed how?) and flashing lights. They were one dimensional and some kids were thrilled about them.


Now, I can tell you with some certainty, that when I was first introduced to a home video game system at the same time as my neighbor's were, (way back in the late 70's) we thought it was pretty cool. However, none of us gave up bike riding, playing baseball, hanging out with our friends talking and laughing, walking, hiking, and listening to music. I don't think I can say that with any certainty at all today about kids who play video games as a regular and typical form of entertainment and even exercise. Video games have pretty much taken over the world and they pretty much have made a smashing impact on families everywhere.


I was just reading some posts from some women who have boyfriends or husbands who spend most of their time playing computer games or video games of some sort. Some of these guys have done things like played World of Warcraft, or even Red Dead Redemption, right through their anniversaries, wedding nights, or other major special occasions. Their wives feel neglected, alone, ignored, unimportant. All I can say about that is, well, they need a heck of a lot of psychological help. Is there a 12 step program for this stuff? Because that screams addiction. 
And our children? Our children love video games, too. At least most of our male children do. They love the action, the worlds, the predictability perhaps, and the excitement of playing that next game keeps them wanting and buying more.  It starts so young and so innocently. The first game system. Everyone has one. Everyone is playing them. It seems like a great idea at the time. But, and mark my words, for most young boys, it doesn't just stay a simple fun past-time, or something new and exciting and it will wear off in time. No. That fascination and thrill of the new and exciting never goes away because there are always new and "better" games to buy and video game systems to acquire and start anew on. It will stay with them through their teenage years and follow them right into adulthood.


I can't tell you how many grown men I've seen standing in a video game store discussing the video games they are playing and how long they can play them without stopping as if this is something to truly brag about. It's just about as bad as listening to people compare how much alcohol they can suck down and how drunk they were. Yeah, that's something to be very proud of. I want to ask these guys standing in those stores: "Do you have a life? How about a wife? Girlfriend? A dog?" I just can't believe how much energy someone will put into one of these things. The discussions are so intense and exciting. They are living the game while they're talking about it. It's such a huge accomplishment to play something someone else made and has the same exact scenario that every single other person will face if they play that game. There is no original thinking here.


What this can do to families is just plain horrible. I know two married couples who got divorced because the wife just couldn't take how much time the husband played video games and talked about them. They watched their husbands loose total interest in their children and all family life, more or less, just to keep playing a video game. They were sad, depressed, and alone raising their children and going through life with their husbands sitting right there, but all the while, still unreachable. My gosh, can't there be a balance?
Family, friends, living a real life outside of a box should always come first.


It's the saddest thing. Move over drinking and drugs, video games have come to make the next big claim on people's lives.


Even in my house the video game has come to stay. It was my fault. I let them in when my son was the mere age of 7 years old. I thought it would help distract him from his absent father, and besides, all of his friends had one too. We played together (Zelda at the time) and worked hard on figuring out the puzzle of the game. It was nice to spend that time with him and we would hum the music together, talk about our adventures and laugh about what we'd done right and wrong. We soon were playing other games together. I thought it was a good thing... but over time, it turned out to be something I would come to regret. Not my son, he still loves playing video games. He's always on the look out for a new and better game. Better graphics, better game play, and if it has a mod mode, that's even better. (Don't ask me, I'm so not sure of half the things he and my husband (who is a software designer) talk about. 


Actually, all of my son's friends play video games. That is what they do. No one does anything else when they're together. No one seems to know how to. Once in a while there may be a walk involved to the ice cream parlor, or a bike ride (very rare) and perhaps a little side project. But, for the most part, they flip on the system and the tube and sit and play for hours and hours and hours. I am thankful to say that my son gets sick of video games after a while. He doesn't have the staying power his buddies have. However, when they are over, as his friend has been for three days now, it starts the moment his buddy gets up until he goes to bed (about 3 a.m.). I hate watching people play video games. It's not like reading a book or even reading some one's blog. It's not like reading at all. It's like watching the television with some arm movement. That glazed eye look and sometimes a look of challenge,  but mostly it's just sitting there staring. Good grief.


Join me tomorrow evening when I take some time to bring you Part 2.





No comments:

Post a Comment